Daily News Archive
Daily News Subscription
Aust Racing Hall Of Fame "Stuck In Limbo"
Under the headline “Racing Hall Of Fame's Future Stuck In Limbo”, The Herald-Sun reported: “Australian Racing’s Hall Of Fame is in disarray - without a chairman, a home or an event planned for this year”. Media commentator Bryan Martin (chairman of the ARHOF since 2001) “has been asked to resign, as Racing Victoria hopes the concept will be adopted by the Australian Racing Board”. The newspaper noted: “Whatever the outcome of Thursday's ARB meeting, there will be no inductions to the Hall Of Fame this year - the first time the event hasn't been held since its inception in 2000”. The ARHOF had been held in conjunction with the Australian Racehorse-Of-The-Year until recently “but that won't be happening this year”. RV senior executive Bernard Saundry “acknowledged there was nothing wrong with the current format, but said it was felt the ARHOF needed to be run nationally with the function rotating to each state”. An “extremely disappointed” Martin said attempts by the selection committee of 11 “to hold meetings to decide on the latest inductees have stalled” & declared: “My fear is that it will now just wither on the vine. It must have a home in Melbourne or it will die. It can't just float out there without any passion.”